Anti-union, anti-worker blacklisting by the physical wing of the state

Police blacklisting admission could lead to fresh legal action

23 March 2018
Source: Unite the union

Police blacklisting admission could lead to fresh legal action

Unite, the UK’s largest union, is considering whether to launch further legal action on behalf of its members who were blacklisted, following today’s (Friday 23 March) admission by the Metropolitan Police, that police officers supplied information that appeared in the files of blacklisting victims.

Unite has launched fresh High Court action on behalf of over 70 members who were blacklisted by the Consulting Association. These cases are for breach of privacy, defamation and for Data Protection Act offences.

In the light of the police’s admission that they were involved in providing information used to blacklist workers, Unite will now be investigating whether it is appropriate to pursue the police in legal action.

In the wake of the Metropolitan Police’s admission of colluding with blacklisters Unite has also renewed its call for a full public inquiry into blacklisting.

There are also serious concerns that the Metropolitan Police concluded in 2016 that their officers had been involved in passing on information used to blacklist workers but suppressed their admission of guilt for two years. This meant the information was not available during the previous High Court case which concluded in 2016, with hundreds of blacklisted workers receiving substantial compensation for having their lives ruined.
Unite assistant general secretary Howard Beckett said: “The latest revelations which have confirmed that the police were both actively spying on construction workers and feeding that information to blacklisters potentially has major implications for blacklisting legal cases.

“Unite will be urgently consulting with our legal experts to identify exactly how we can take appropriate legal action on behalf of our members whose lives were ruined due to the activities of the police.”

Unite assistant general secretary Gail Cartmail said: “This is a major breakthrough the police have finally been forced to admit what we already knew that they were knowingly and actively involved in the blacklisting of construction workers. It is disgraceful that they have chosen to sit on this admission of guilt for so long.

“This admission is yet another reason why we need a full public inquiry into blacklisting. It is also why it is absolutely essential that the inquiry into undercover policing led by Judge Mittings is entirely transparent. That inquiry’s primary focus must be about exposing the abuses that undercover police officers were responsible for, rather than protecting the identities of the police officers involved.”
ENDS

For more information please contact Unite communications officer Barckley Sumner on 020 3371 2067 or 07802 329235. Email: barckley.sumner@unitetheunion.org
Notes to editors:

The Consulting Association was formed in 1993 following the demise of the Economic League blacklisted construction workers until 2009, when it was closed down following a raid by the Information Commissioners Office.

A total of 3,213 workers were found to have been blacklisted by the Consulting Association.

************

Police Blacklisting Admission Constitutional Crisis

Friday, March 23, 2018

POLICE BLACKLISTING ADMISSION IS ‘CONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS’ SAYS GMB

When in 2013 GMB launched the first high court claims on behalf of those blacklisted there were many in the establishment who said we were paranoid conspiracy theorists.Source: GMB

When in 2013 GMB launched the first high court claims on behalf of those blacklisted there were many in the establishment who said we were paranoid conspiracy theorists.
GMB, the union for construction workers, has described the Metropolitan Police’s admission of their role in the blacklisting scandal as a constitutional crisis which needs a public inquiry.

Scotland Yard today admitted Special Branch officers passed information to a controversial network that blacklisted construction workers. [1]
GMB took the first blacklisting case to the high court in November 2013 [2] and has spearheaded the campaign right from the start. [3]

The union was instrumental in netting a £75 million for 771 claimants including legal costs on both sides estimated at £25m.
Justin Bowden, GMB National Secretary, said:

“The secret blacklisting of 3,213 construction workers and environmentalists was the greatest employment scandal in 50 years.
“When in 2013 GMB launched the first high court claims on behalf of those blacklisted there were many in the establishment who said we were paranoid conspiracy theorists.
“Admission by the police that they were directly and deeply involved in denying ordinary working people – who in many cases had done little more than raise health and safety concerns – from work and the chance to support themselves and their families is a constitutional crisis that can only be properly addressed by a full, independent public enquiry as GMB has long maintained.

“This admission too raises some serious questions regarding other connected cases.”

ENDS

Contact: Justin Bowden on 07710 631351; or GMB Press Office on 07958 156846 or at press.office@gmb.org.uk

Notes to Editors:

[1] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43507728/>%5B2%5D http://www.gmb.org.uk/newsroom/blacklisting-claims-in-high-court/>%5B3%5D http://www.gmb.org.uk/campaigns/blacklisting

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s