OPERATIONS have been cancelled at St Mary’s Hospital today (Thursday) due to severe pressures on the service.
The Isle of Wight NHS Trust said a significantly high number of patients had been admitted, and that coupled with ongoing difficulties in discharging patients had resulted in the decision to halt surgery and focus on those who need immediate care.
Between Wednesday, June 14 and Tuesday, June 20, 1,408 people phoned NHS 111 — a 13 per cent increase on the same week in 2016.
And 952 people attended the emergency department in the last week — an 18 per cent increase on the same week last year.
There were 234 emergency admissions during the last week — a 4·5 per cent on the same week last year.
A spokesperson apologised for postponing surgery and said procedures would be rescheduled as soon as possible.
Nikki Turner, deputy chief operating officer at Isle of Wight NHS Trust, said: “The hospital is incredibly busy and we are finding it difficult to maintain business as usual as we have limited bed capacity in the hospital and in the community to accommodate the volume of patients requiring care.
“We also have a number of individuals who are medically stable but who cannot move out of the hospital for a number of reasons and we are continuing to work with the Isle of Wight Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), the local authority’s social service teams and the Island’s nursing and residential care homes to ensure those ready to leave hospital can be found appropriate placements.
“We ask for families to work with us and support us in any way they can to be able to discharge those relatives who are ready to leave hospital. Nobody wants to be in hospital any longer than necessary, especially in this heat.”
People who need help but don’t need to be seen in the emergency department can call NHS 111.
County Press Report